Thursday, October 28, 2010

For the Love of Dyeing

This past summer I took a dye class with the fabulous Amy King. I had a great time and fell in love with dyeing. Since then Ive been practicing and I started my own line of dyed fibers for The Spinning Loft.

Im having so much fun dyeing and thinking of new colorways. People seem to love my colors too. Ive been selling lots on our online store http://www.thespinningloft.com/ and hope to up my productivity and popularity.

With Amy King and my lovely mom Beth Smith as my mentor and inspiration I look forward to expanding my knowledge as a dyer. (As well as my shelf space)



Here is my rainbow of beautiful dye colors. Arent they just lovely? I almost have every color. :D

Here they are in liquid form waiting to be chosen.

This is my Dye Notebook. My mom got it for me on her trip to Pennsylvainia last month.
Its the perfect little notebook.  

I keep all of my dye recipes in here so I can recreate any colorway I may come up with. Im hopeing to have it all filled up some day.

There is a cute little kitchen area in the back of our shop where I do my dyeing. I have a double crock pot and a steam table to use.

Here is a peak inside yesterdays crockpot batch called Art Class. Isnt it beautiful. The Lucky fiber : Polwarth. (yum)

And a peak inside the steam table. This is a brand new colorway called Saavy?


This colorway is called Winter Squash. Dont be decieved by the way it looks there. It comes out of the pot looking completely different. One of my favorite parts of dyeing. Sometimes colors surprise you. :) Its so much fun!

                                      
Here is Saavy? all done. Isnt she beautiful?



Here are all three colorways out of there pots and hanging out to dry. I use a couple of lamps in the shop to hang the fiber since I dont have actual drying racks. They work quite well.

This is my shelf. Isnt it wonderful? I think so. So many gorgeous colors.

Im hopeing to have a much larger shelf soon.

Better get dyeing I suppose. :)

I hope you enjoyed this inside look. Stay tuned for more colors, projects and some other fun things.

Much Love,
Chelsea

6 comments:

  1. They are a beautiful site, Chelsea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do such a good job dyeing! I keep checking in on the site every now and then. You're coming up with some great colorways. I'll be back in September and well do more dyeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! It's so cool to see the work-in-progress (and get a sneak peek at what may be available in the store...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I am very much in love with my mixed BFL in "Pumpkin" that you dyed. I haven't spun it yet (haven't felt up to it with my broken ankle) but it is next up! For now, I fondle.

    ReplyDelete